Chemistry Placement exam or CPE

The Chemistry Placement Exam  or CPE is an online assessment created by the Chemistry Department and is administered through the Learning Management System (LMS) Blackboard also known as Husky CT.

The exam has 15 questions on topics that are considered essential to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education and is offered online via Husky CT .  The CPE can be accessed from any location where internet access is available (detailed instructions on how to access the CPE are provided at the bottom of this page).

The topics covered on the CPE can be broadly classified into the following:

  1. Measurements
  2. Unit conversions
  3. Components of the atom
  4. Mass relations: Stoichiometry
  5. Reactions in aqueous solutions
  6. Oxidation numbers
  7. Gas laws

Students have a maximum of three (3) attempts per semester to earn a qualifying score on the CPE.  Students have ONE hour to complete the exam at once.  Exam scores will guide students’ placement into Fundamentals of General Chemistry I (CHEM 1124Q) or General Chemistry (CHEM 1127Q or CHEM 1147Q) courses.

Do I need to take the CPE?

All undergraduate students who are required or plan to register for Fundamentals of Chemistry I (CHEM 1124Q) or General Chemistry (CHEM 1127Q or CHEM 1147Q) courses at UConn must take the CPE.  Typical students are usually in the following majors:

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Allied Health Sciences
  • Animal Science, B.S.
  • Applied Mathematical Sciences, B.S.
  • Biological Sciences, B.S.
  • Biology Education
  • Chemistry
  • Cognitive Sciences, B.S.
  • Diagnostic Genetic Sciences
  • Dietetics
  • Earth Science Education
  • Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, B.S.
  • Environmental Sciences
  • Exercise Science
  • General Science Education
  • Geography, B.S.
  • Geoscience, B.S.
  • Pre-Individualized Major, B.S.
  • Landscape Architecture
  • Marine Sciences
  • Mathematics-Actuarial Sciences, B.S.
  • Mathematics-Actuarial Sciences-Finance, B.S.
  • Mathematics, B.S.
  • Mathematics Education
  • Mathematics-Physics
  • Mathematics-Statistics, B.S.
  • Medical Laboratory Sciences
  • Molecular and Cell Biology
  • Natural Resources
  • Nutritional Sciences
  • Pathobiology
  • Pharmacy Studies
  • Physics
  • Physics Education
  • Physiology and Neurobiology
  • Pre-Kinesiology (Exercise Science)
  • Pre-Statistical Data Science
  • Pre-Teaching (any STEM area as listed)
  • Psychological Sciences, B.S.
  • Statistics, B.S.
  • Structural Biology and Biophysics
  • Sustainable Plant and Soil Systems

***Note: B.S. = Bachelor of Science

If your major is not listed above, that means the Chemistry courses mentioned above are not required for your undergraduate degree.  However, if you are a student in ACES and you considering or have interest in any of the majors listed above, it is advised that you take the placement to determine which chemistry course to register for in the future.  If you have questions about course requirements for any major plan of study, please contact your advisor.

There are no substitutions for the CPE requirement. Incoming students who belong to the following two categories also need to take the CPE.

  1. Students with AP Chemistry credits and/or have high SAT scores who want to retake these courses on campus.  Students should consult the Undergraduate Admissions Office website to verify AP Chemistry equivalencies.
  2. Transfer Students if previous Chemistry courses taken at other institutions do not transfer exactly as CHEM 1124Q, and CHEM 1127Q or CHEM 1147Q.  Students can also find more information about transfer credits by visiting the Undergraduate Admissions Office website.

How is course placement determined by advisors?

  • A minimum score of 60% score on the exam — 90 out of 150 possible points — is recommended for enrollment in General Chemistry I (CHEM 1127 Q or CHEM 1147Q).
  • Students with a score below 60% (less than 90 points)
    • Storrs Students will be advised to register for General Chemistry Fundamentals course (CHEM 1124Q).
    • Regional campus students will discuss options with an advisor at their campus

Students have a maximum of three (3) attempts per semester to earn a qualifying score on the CPE.  Students who fail to earn qualifying scores after their first attempt are STRONGLY advised to spend time reviewing previously learned General Chemistry concepts before re-taking the CPE.

If students fail to earn 60% or higher (90 out of 150 possible points) after a third attempt, they will be advised to register for Fundamentals of General Chemistry I or discuss options with an advisor at their campus.

How do I take the CPE?

The CPE is offered online via Husky CT.  Students will need to sign in with their NetID and password and self-enroll.  Please see below for more information regarding how to self-enroll prior to taking the placement. Self-Enrollment in CPE

 What if I need help?

Technical support, please contact the UITS HuskyTech Help Center by phone at 860.486.HELP (4357) or via email at

Holidays and outside normal business hours — contact the HuskyCT 24 x 7 technology unit by visiting

For advising questions — contact the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Academic Services Center at 860.486.2822 or

For accommodation requests from the Center for Students with Disabilities  (CSD) — contact Jennifer Lucia (860.486.2020).