Chemistry Placement

All Undergraduate students seeking to register for General Chemistry (CHEM 1124, CHEM 1127 or CHEM 1147) must take the Chemistry Placement Exam (CPE) in order to determine student readiness for appropriate placement.

The CPE is offered online via Husky CT and can be taken anywhere if internet access is available. This placement require LockDown Browser which is a browser that does not allow opening another window once your start your test.  if you don’t have LockDown Browser already installed on your device, you will find instruction on how to download and install LockDown Browser before taking the placement.

  • CPE scores are used by advisors to help students register for the following courses.
    • CHEM 1124Q (Fundamentals of General Chemistry I).
    • CHEM 1127Q (General Chemistry) or CHEM 1147Q (Honors General Chemistry).

Chemistry Placement Exam Information and List of Majors
Please click here for more information regarding the placement exam and the list of majors that required courses where the CPE applies.


Graduate, Post-Baccalaureate & Non-Degree Students are not required to take the CPE.  They should coordinate with the Office of the Registrar for assistance.  Enrollment in courses will be based on availability.